Monday, August 18, 2008

Olympics

Here are a few things that I have observed about the Olympics...
1) All the athletes (minus gymnasts, long distance runners, and cyclists) are extremely tall. I never knew that the athletes were almost all over 7'0 - okay that is little dramatic but who knew that even the rowing competitors were over 6'4.
2) Swimming is now an American obsession.
3) China has a flare for lights - Beijing looks like Las Vegas on steroids.
4) I didn't know that each athlete has like 200 support people - coaches, trainers, massage therapists, clothes holders, water handers, spotters, timers on and on the list goes. I guess I just assumes they trained and showed up and competed. How silly.
5) Finally, I find it ironic that what "brings the world together" is a HUGE competition were we are all striving to prove whose county has the best athletes and whose athletes just don't measure up. I guess it is not a philosophical "bringing" together but a literal "bringing together", which would be true since everyone is in China :).

1 comment:

John, Kisti, Maren & Silas Felps said...

Yes, Olympic swimming wreaks havoc on the spelling of our last name...Yes, It's FELPS, not PHELPS! (Thanks, Michael!)