Friday, June 5, 2009

This Story is Not for the Men Who Might Be Reading This Blog

I will start out mild since a man might be reading this because he didn't see the title. I have been on the hunt for a swimsuit for about 4 weeks now. I cannot go to the mall everyday (and wouldn't want to) so I have been going on average about once every 10 days. We have a family get together that is based around a lake and water park coming up in about 2 weeks. My swimsuit (which I have had for about 3 years) doesn't flatter me quite like it used to - enough said. So today my last hope in the world for finding a swimming suit that is approved and appropriate for a nursing, conservative mom was a speciality bra shop here in town. I had avoided this place in the past because of the price of their swimsuits (about $90 and up). But when I shopped at the mall the prices were the same! This shop will custom fit and alter the top (and probably the bottoms) so they support and lift. ***Not for the men*** This shop is not a browse and look type place, you usually make an appointment and then a sales lady walks around with you and holds things, suggests things, and then helps you try things on. Yes, they help you which is a good thing - a correctly fitting bra is very hard to get in and out of. As a result of this type of shopping you are forced to act like your sales lady is closer than your best friend because they have no problem with being in the changing room the WHOLE time. So in preparation for this I wore "regular" (read no thong) underwear, of course my cute normal looking regular undies were in the wash ... need I say more. Luckily (for the sales lady) they don't treat a swimsuit like a bra fitting. I just asked her to help when needed and the rest of the time she stayed outside my room. I went in to look at a pink/brown tankini but ended up with a navy/white polka dot with red trim tankini. Very good choice - plus it has a built in underwire bra with lift and supports - so I feel a lot better about being in a suit. But even more fun than finding a suit is shopping where you can hear this conversation in the next fitting room:

Sales Lady: Ok, so lift up the girls so I can get a correct measurement around your chest.

Customer: Silence (I am assuming the lifting is going on)

Sales Lady: Now, when a bra fits correctly the girls are fully supported from the band not the straps... (and she went on the explain the whole deal with a correct fitting bra) blah blah the girls blah blah the girls.

Tiffany: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA (Silently)

Cadence: BLahklfjeniwanckvhuas (or whatever baby's language looks like typed out) - and she was NOT silent

All in all a good day. Now I am going to watch a chick flick (Ryan is at work and Cadydid is in bed).

4 comments:

John, Kisti, Maren & Silas Felps said...

Okay, is this a chain store? Share the details!

Tiffany said...

It is not a chain store - but I can tell you the brand of swimsuit and you can find a retailer near you guys - let me go look. Mine is a "Panache Swimwear". They also sell "Fantasie" brand. I know they have others but their website is not updated. Hope that helps. I am going swimming tomorrow so hopefully the suit works!

aunt summer said...

all i could do was laugh as soon as i saw "the girls" part. i can see the look on your face as you try to choke down the laughter. too funny!! and baby talk is the perfect cover up for the occasional snort that always seems to sneak out! can't wait to see you guys!!

Sarah said...

Bathing suit shopping was never fun for me before giving birth... but after birthing three babies in the past 20 months, let me tell you... it will never be the same again! :)

I found some cute suits at J Crew... "swing" halter tankini tops ("swing" meaning it doesn't hug your body) and swim skirts. Oh yes, I used to make fun of my mom for it... but now I say, bring on the swim skirts! :)